Our teeth work hard for us, day-in and day-out. They help us eat, they help us speak clearly — they help us communicate love, laughter and happiness with the world around us.
Unfortunately, all that hard work means our teeth can get damaged over time. Regardless of the reason, whether we’ve bitten down wrong on a hard piece of food, or we’re predisposed to dental issues, chips, cracks and breaks occasionally occur in our teeth.
Not only does this cause pain and discomfort — which can also lead to other oral health issues down the road – but damaged teeth also affect the look and feel of your natural smile — which can affect your confidence.
So what’s the solution to damaged teeth?
A dental crown procedure, of course!
What is a dental crown?
A dental crown is a permanent cap that fits seamlessly over a damaged tooth. They’re most commonly made from porcelain, resin or metals like gold, and they look (depending on the material used) and feel exactly like a natural tooth. Crowns help not only repair the mechanical function of your teeth but also restore the look and shape of your natural smile.
Crowns don’t require any special care, other than your regular dental care routine of brushing, flossing and bi-annual dental visits to Bow Island Dental!
When to get a dental crown
There are a number of reasons you should seriously consider booking a dental crown procedure, including:
- Protecting fragile teeth — especially after a procedure such as a filling or root canal, your tooth is much more suceptable to damage.
- Restoring a ground-down tooth — For those suffering from bruxism (tooth-grinding), crowns can be cemented into place to help restore the shape, look and size of ground-down teeth.
- Securing a dental bridge in place — Crowns can act as pillars on either side of a bridge, helping to hold everything together and keep your bridge functioning its best.
- Covering a dental implant — Implants should be capped with a crown to protect the dental implant and make the tooth look as natural as possible
- Cosmetic dentistry — From discoloured or mishapen teeth to modifying and restoring the look of your smile, crowns are the perfect solution!
How long do dental crowns last?
Dental crowns are durable and designed to last anywhere between five and 15 years. Of course, crown longevity depends on the amount of wear and tear it’s exposed to (such as hard foods and candies) along with how well you care for your teeth in general.
To help preserve your crown, be sure to practice good oral hygiene (daily brushing and flossing), and avoid bad oral health habits like teeth grinding and clenching, biting your nails, using your teeth to tear open packaging, and chewing on hard items like ice or candy.
Add that crowning touch!
At Bow Island Dental, we want to give you a smile you can count on! That means protecting your oral health through the proper placement of dental crowns.
If you’re considering a dental crown procedure, please reach out to us today!